Located in Oklahoma and named by O.W. Gurly in 1906, the Greenwood District was established with the vision of being a self-contained and self-reliant black economy in the segregated United States.
The Greenwood District, also known as the infamous "Black Wall Street," housed black-owned luxury shops, restaurants, grocery stores, hotels, jewelry and clothing stores, movie theaters, barbershops and salons, a library, pool halls, nightclubs, and offices for doctors, lawyers and dentists. Greenwood also had its own school system, post office, a savings and loan bank, hospital, and bus and taxi service.
In 1921, the Greenwood neighborhood was burned to the ground and hundreds of its citizens lynched. Through rebuilding efforts by the community and NAACP, the Greenwood District was brought back to life but it would never be the same.
Almost 100 years later, the Greenwood District still exists today and we want to contribute to its legacy by building up communities of color, encouraging entrepreneurship, and generational wealth building.